Building Information Modeling is, simply put, the creation and manipulation of a building’s data using a virtual 3-D model.
~~ Seven Advantages of Building Information Modeling (“BIM”) over 3D Drafting Platforms ~~
1. When you change something in the 3D model, all the 2D views, including sections, are automatically updated. In a CAD drafting platform, you would have to refresh the 2D views for the data to be updated
2. When you change something in a 2D view, the 3D model is automatically updated
3. The material takeoff is automatically updated
4. Area schedules are automatically updated
5. You can define relationships between various parts of the building. For instance you can specify that a wall should not be allowed to extend above the ceiling or above for a roof.
6. You can create a walk-through without the need for another program
7. Typical 3-D building elements, such as doors, windows and walls are builtdrafting services into the BIM platform. You just have to drag and drop them into your building model.
~~ Some Benefits of Using BIM ~~
* All your views and schedules are flawlessly coordinated with one another; because clashes can be caught in the virtual model, costly errors in the field are avoided resulting in significant savings in project cost and project completion time.
* Because coordination is done automatically, exploring architectural options or putting in changes are now not daunting tasks. This makes it easier to work within contracting client deadlines.
BIM is undoubtedly the way the architecture, engineering and construction industries are going, albeit slowly, and will ultimately make buildings more efficient, less expensive and easier to build.