Truck driving is a profession that is sure to fit your individual vision. It’s often assumed that being a truck driver means being on the road for long periods of time, which is great for those who like to travel, but that’s not always the case.
There will always be goods to haul and truck drivers will always be in demand. You can find a lifelong career in a truck driving job.
There are a variety of truck driving jobs available, and the list can be narrowed down to 5 categories that best fit your needs.
* Interstate drivers (also known as “long haul” or “over the road” drivers) can travel thousands of miles on each job, giving you the opportunity to travel and see places you might not otherwise be able to see.
This job is perfect for someone who loves the outdoors. If the job as a long-haul truck driver takes you away from home for several weeks, it’s not uncommon for a husband and wife to do a long-haul trip together as a team, taking turns driving.
* Short-haul truck drivers (or LTLs) are usually away from home Learn More for only one or two nights. An example of a short haul truck driving job would be a UPS driver. These jobs are usually hard to get because most companies expect you to have prior LTL experience. Short haul truck driving jobs usually offer the best pay and benefits, making them highly sought after truck driving jobs.
* Local driving is a truck driving job that allows you to work within “local boundaries,” usually your hometown and surrounding areas. This job allows you to go home at night and keep a “normal schedule”.
If you have a family at home, a local truck driving job is the best way to balance a good paying job with family life.
* Professional truck driving jobs are another type of truck driving that gives you the opportunity to work or travel close to home. Examples of truck driving jobs include dump truck driver, garbage truck driver, and concrete mixer driver.
With a truck driving job, it is possible to maximize your income potential by becoming an employee of your home state.
* Intermodal container truck driving jobs are a “do-it-all” opportunity if you prefer variety. This is an optimal job for owners and those who prefer varied work. To advance from one position to the next, you must have extensive training in each area. Car, tanker and flatbed driving require individual training in balancing techniques.